Question: Do you have or need mentors like other foster (care) agencies?
(Submitted by Julie P.)
One of the questions we often get is whether or not we are an agency. The answer to that is no, we are not. Foster Arizona is a non-profit organization that focuses on helping connect the public with the kids in foster care through educating, empowering, and encouraging ordinary people to make an extraordinary impact in lives of kids in foster care. We love to help groups and individuals find ways to get involved with Arizona’s foster care crisis that works with their abilities and schedules.
If you are looking for opportunities to be a mentor for a child in foster care, here are a couple of suggestions:
- AASK has a mentorship program that you can check out! When a child has at least one stable adult in their life, it makes a huge impact:
- 45% less likely than their peers to begin using illicit drugs
- 59% do better academically
- 73% set and attain higher life achievement goals than other kids their age
Here is a link for more information:
- Another way to plug into a child’s life is to become a CASA. A CASA is a Court Appointed Special Advocate. Their job is to spend time with one child they personally choose to become an advocate for. They write reports that go directly to the judge that helps the judge make a decision about what is in the best interest for this child. There is a huge need for CASAs in Arizona and, if this sounds like a great fit, you can find more information here:
Yavapai County: http://www.azcourts.gov/casaofyavapaicounty/Apply-Now
If your county is not listed, please feel free to contact us and we will help you get connected. Thank you for your great question!
If you have questions, send them to #youaskedfa or Kim@fosteraz.com