Question: My child has a friend that recently came into foster care. Is there something I can do?

Yes. If you are connected to a child that recently came into foster care, here are a couple of things you can do:


  1. Reach out to their birth family and let them know that you are willing to help. When children are removed from their home and put in out of home placement, the family is asked if they know anyone that would be able to care for their child until it is safe for them to be returned home. This can be a relative, a teacher, family friend, friend of the child, etc. The birth family is able to contact the case manager and put your name down as an option for out of home placement.


  1. Contact 1-888-SOS-CHILD. You can give them the information of the child that came into care along with your information and how you are connected to the child.  You can ask that it be given to their assigned case manager. From that point, the case manager should be able to talk with the birth family about you being a placement option.

Thank you for your great question! If you have questions, send them to #youaskedfa or

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *