Question: My wife wants to be a foster parent but we are in the military. Can we foster?

Special thanks to Arizona’s Office of Licensing and Regulation. I had to reach out to OLR to be sure to give the correct answer on this one . Here is what the regulation stats:

“R21-6-301. General Requirements for Foster Parents

  1. A foster parent shall:
  2. Be 21 years of age or older;
  3. Reside in Arizona and be lawfully present in the United States;
  4. Each applicant shall present one of the documents specified under A.R.S. § 41-1080(A) and, as applicable, (E), to the licensing agency to demonstrate that the applicant is lawfully present in the United States; and
  5. If an alien applicant has only temporary authorization to be present in the United States, the applicant shall provide documentation indicating that the authorization is valid for a minimum of one year or that the applicant has already taken steps to obtain authorization to remain for at least one year.

Additionally, one of the applicants would follow under this rule:

R21-6-205. Licensing Agency Responsibility; Application for an Initial Foster Home License

  1. The licensing agency shall provide OLR with signed verification that the applicant has provided proof of income and resources and:
  2. Valid Arizona driver’s license for each household member who transports a foster child, or a transportation plan in place in the absence of a valid Arizona driver’s license.

If you are interested in fostering and want to take the next step, check out this link for the upcoming scheduled orientations:

Thank you for your great question! If you have questions, send them to #youaskedfa or

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *