SB 1380 – signed by the Governor April 5, 2018
Overview: Provides opportunity for those caring for youth 16 and older, with Notice to Provider, ability to assist in youth in getting personal documents- state ID, Birth Certificate, Immunization. Also requires DCS to provide social security numbers for all kids in care within 90 days and social security cards for 14 and older upon written request.
Relating to Documents for children in out-of-home placement.
1. Specifies that if a child who is at least 16 years old is in the custody of DCS and is placed in out-of-home placement, the provider: a. Must obtain and provide Documents to the child within 60 days of placement, if the provider is a child welfare agency; and
b. May obtain and provide Documents to the child if the provider is a licensed foster or kinship foster home. (Sec. 2)
2. Stipulates that ADHS or ADOT must give the provider a requested Document in the provider makes a request and DCS verifies the current placement. (Sec. 2)
3. Requires ADHS to waive any fees charged by an agency for a Document. (Sec. 2)
4. Requires DCS to provide a: a. Foster or kinship foster parent with the social security number of a child in the foster or kinship foster parent’s care for a lawful purpose within 90 days after the request; and
b. Child in DCS custody, who is at least 14 years of age, with the child’s social security card within 120 days after receipt of a written request from the child. (Sec. 2)
5. Requires DCS to request a birth certificate for a child who is in DCS custody and is placed in out of home placement within 30 days of the placement, unless the child is returned to the child’s parents during the 30-day period. (Sec. 2)
6. Requires an out of home provider who is providing care for a child who is at least 16-year-old to work with independent living programs to assist the child in meeting career, education and future development planning goals. (Sec. 1)
7. Defines documents. (Sec. 2)
8. Makes technical changes. (Sec. 1)
Thank you for your great question! If you have questions, send them to #youaskedfa or Kim@fosteraz.com